Thursday, September 13, 2012

Watch Her Grow...

This Week's Focus: Language and Critical Thinking
More pictures from our hike.



Interactions with Materials
  • Q-ball loves balls.  She sees pictures of buttons, smiley faces, any circles and immediately gets very excited about the "ball."  She also loves when her fun Daddy comes home and will play ball with her.
  • She is starting to start pretend play more- just small things like "drinking" out of an empty cup. 
Interactions with Others
  • Last week at church Q-ball started pointing toward the nursery, so Daddy took her to try the nursery expereince again.  But, it pretty much resembled the previous experiences in the nursery filled with tears and instances of separation anxiety despite the fact that Daddy is sitting in the corner.  Over the past few months, I have been saying "bye-bye" to items when we have to clean up or if Q-ball has gotten into something that is probably better left alone.  Well, she has really started to catch on.  At the nursery, if she happened to make eye contact with the caregiver, she was scream, "BAH!  Bye-bye! Bye-bye!" in what seemed to be attempt to make the caregiver disappear. 
Critical Thinking
  • Q-ball is starting to expand her two-word phrases using different methods of communication. For example, at our park day, she saw some older girls playing with a toy horse.  We headed for the other side of the park as the toys were just too tempting for a toddler passerby and she looked at me and communicated "play (using sign language) horse (saying neigh)."
Interactions with Life 
  • I haven't mentioned much with potty learning as I am considering doing a post writing about our whole journey.  But, as that may never happen, I'll share some info here.  Q-ball has become obsessed with potties. She instructs me to go "potty" using sign language and the verbal cue "psss..." frequently throughout the day.  She, of course, does not want to go potty herself- she just watches me and helps me get toilet paper and then tells me to wash my hands and then to dry them.  Also, she is now on the lookout for potential potties in public places we visit.  If she locates one, she tells me to go potty there.  At last weeks LLL meeting, she dragged me to the potty 3 times in about an hour.  And, she dragged me to every other closed door that she suspected to be a potty.  Luckily, I drink lots of water...
 We are linking up with Vibrant Wanderings.  See what the other kiddos are up to here! 
To see the rational and purpose for the Watch Her Grow series, please check out this post!

1 comment:

  1. It is so cool to read about Q-ball's ever growing communication skills and the new strategies she comes up with. I love how willing you are to go along with her interest in the potty, too - even if she's not the one using it! ;)

    P.S. - I'm sorry I have been such a lousy commenter lately. I do all of my reading on the phone these days and as you know, my comments from there do a disappearing act instead of going into disqus!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...